Updated April 5, 2020
At the Centre for Integrative Mental Health, we are committed to your health – both your mental health and physical health. During this stressful time, it is important that you have support for your, or your family member’s mental health. The increase in anxiety with COVID 19 can be problematic, and the constant barrage of news can be overwhelming. Also with children not attending school for several weeks, and limited community activities, this may increase certain symptoms and behaviours. We aim to support you with your mental health care during the time with the least disruption to your care as is possible.
All of the appointments we provide are virtual now (ie we are not doing any ‘in-person’ appointments). The goal is to limit the risks to any of us of getting infected or passing on the COVID-19 virus.
Although we are considered an essential service (as defined by the Ontario Government), each of us is almost exclusively working from home. One of our administration staff is going into the office for two short periods of time per week – in case you have to pick something up in person (ie medication samples, or something like that). Please call and check with our administration staff to coordinate timing – to ensure you can come during the small windows of time we have staff in the office. Before you come to the office, the staff will do screening questions with you – and if you are considered at higher risk, we will ask you not to attend the office.
Regarding appointments, and attending them:
Psychiatric appointments with Dr. Kenny Handelman:
- First appointments – Dr. Handelman’s Comprehensive Assessment for ADHD will be adapted during COVID 19 – and we will not do some of the in-office cognitive testing that we have been doing. If you are interested in having this additional testing done at a later time once the Pandemic is resolved, we can certainly provide you with that opportunity in the future.
- Any of the patient visits – first appointments, feedback appointments and follow up appointments will be done on the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN). This is a secure video conference technology which is fully covered by OHIP. If for some reason you don’t have access to a secure, high speed internet connection with a quiet space to use, we can find an alternative solution.
- Cancellations: The clinic policy is that we require at least 24 hours’ notice to cancel appointments or a cancellation fee applies. While we are willing to consider unique circumstances (if you have to miss your appointment on short notice), because of the demand for appointments (and waiting lists), as long as you have access to an internet connected device (like a smart phone, tablet or computer), you can have your appointment virtually
Appointments with the other professionals in our clinic (ie Social Workers/Naturopathic Doctor):
- All appointments can be done virtually – either by secure video conference, or by telephone. The same appointment fee applies to ‘virtual appointments’ as to the regular in-clinic appointments
- Cancellations: The clinic policy is that we require at least 24 hours’ notice to cancel appointments or a cancellation fee applies. While we are willing to consider unique circumstances (if you have to miss your appointment on short notice), because of the demand for appointments (and waiting lists), as long as you have access to an internet connected device (like a smart phone, tablet or computer), or a telephone you can have your appointment virtually
During the Pandemic, Dr. Handelman will not be charging for Prescription Refills if you need them.
If you have unique challenges or concerns, please contact our office and we will do our best to accommodate your concerns.
We all have a responsibility during the pandemic to isolate ourselves when needed and to protect each other. You also have the right to get the medical care you need. We will do our best to support you. By using precautions and leveraging technology as needed, we will be able to provide you with the care you need and be responsible during the pandemic.